For those of us in the United States, today is Thanksgiving, which means gathering with friends and family, maybe a little football, and kids running around until they are exhausted.
It’s also a time to consider what we’re grateful for in this life, which isn't an easy task when life hasn't treated you too kindly in the recent years.
When you’re faced with hard times, whether those are financial insecurities, the loss of a loved one, a job change, or simply you're just feeling a little down, it may not easy to spot the good in your life as your vision may be clouded by anger, sadness, fear, and/or frustration.
The fog is dense and it blocks the light from reaching you.
You have to make a conscious choice to move through the fog, to keep walking until you see the light again. I am a genuinely optimistic person, so I usually find it easy to see the good in this world. I’ll be the first to admit, however, that it’s hard to be thankful when your heart is hurting.
It takes work. Hard work.
Today, in an effort to remind myself of all my blessings, I share with you the top 10 things I am thankful for in this life.
- First and foremost, my husband. I thank my lucky stars every single day that I have been blessed with the gift of his presence in my life.
- My morning coffee ritual. It’s a moment where time slows down so I can reflect, center myself, and remember why I’m still here on this earth.
- The opportunity to work from home at my dad's desk where I feel inspired to create meaning in my life.
- For the sweet puppy who keeps me company every day while I work.
- The ability to envision a future and grow into exactly what I want my life to be.
- Finding a yoga practice that helps me connect to my body and soul in ways I’ve been missing.
- Those moments of true connection with another individual, moments when we both know we’ve made an impact on each other's life.
- Smiles and laughter. Life is hard, y’all; it’s so much easier when you can appreciate and relish in the joy around you even when your heart is hurting.
- For you, my readers. Thank you for reading, thank you for sharing, thank you for wanting to dig a little deeper into your own heart work because within our hearts is the power to heal ourselves and each other.
- And, last but certainly not least, for Adeline. Knowing her has changed my life forever.
Blessing to each and every one of you during this holiday season.